First Responder Opioid Overdose Naloxone Training and Linkage Into Needed Evidence-Based Services+ (FRONTLINES+) is a Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) funded grant awarded to the Houston Health Department, which created a collaboration between the Houston Health Department, Houston Fire Department, Houston Recovery Center, Baylor College of Medicine, and the University of Texas at San Antonio to address the opioid crisis in our community by meeting the following objectives:
- Objective 1: To ensure all Houston Fire Department (HFD) response units will be equipped with high-dose naloxone opioid overdose kits.
- Objective 2: To train all HFD first responders and lay person first responders in recognition and pre-hospital management of a person with opioid overdose, including proper administration of naloxone using culturally sensitive and trauma informed methods.
- Objective 3: To provide real-time peer support response for overdose victims in emergency centers for overdose education, naloxone distribution, and linkages to ongoing care coordination with other overdose prevention programs in the community.
- Objective 4: Implement a synchronous and asynchronous comprehensive, culturally sensitive and trauma informed educational campaign on overdose education including fentanyl risks within the greater Houston community.
Opioid Overdose Prevention and Response Video
- Drugs: Costs and Consequences | The Health Museum
- Opioid resources: free Narcan, training, meetings | Houston Recovery Center
- moreNARCANplease | Free Narcan® by mail (may have extended wait time)
- Physicians and advanced practitioners can prescribe to individual patients
- Individuals can self-pay ($75-$140 for 2 doses [estimated price range]) or use insurance to cover [copayments vary])
- Texas Naloxone Standing Order: Naloxone is available at pharmacy counters statewide at pharmacies that stock naloxone – self-pay or use insurance to cover (x1)
- Overview of Texas Overdose Bystander Law
Page last reviewed: September 20, 2023