The Houston Health Department is open and providing core services during the COVID-19 pandemic, with the following temporary modifications:
- Multi-Service Centers are open with access limited to clients of existing tenants.
- Group events of more than 10 people are evaluated on a case by case basis to ensure disease containment and keep everyone safe.
- The Eligibility Assistance service, which provides screening and certification for health care programs such as Medicaid and Harris Health, is consolidating to the West End Multi-Service Center.
The Houston Health Department operates 11 multi-service centers throughout Houston. Our spacious centers provide a variety of services to Houstonians and are available for public and private events.
Our multi-service centers work in partnership with collaborating agencies to provide educational resources, direct services, referrals, access to basic needs, and other social services needs, including:
- Healthy food through our farmers markets, produce wagons, and community gardens
- Education to manage chronic diseases such as diabetes or high blood pressure
- Computer room and free WiFi
- Application help for financial assistance programs such as Medicaid, Affordable Care Act Insurance, and Harris Health Financial Assistance
- Facility rentals for private events
- Meeting space for public events and meetings
- Fitness activities and exercise equipment
- Services for seniors 60 and older (meals, benefits counseling, fitness activities)
- Help with accessing health care and social services
- Comcast Lift Zones that provide free hotspot internet access to help students get online, participate in distance learning, and do their homework.