Our mission is to reduce the prevalence of childhood lead poisoning in the City of Houston, to educate health care professionals and the general public about the dangers of childhood lead poisoning, and to identify and care for children who have been exposed to lead.
Our program’s activities are directed toward:
- providing education to the general public and health care professionals in relation to screening guidelines and hazards of childhood lead poisoning
- assuring that children exposed to lead are screened and provided with follow-up care
- offering care coordination to children with blood lead levels
- developing and enhancing a surveillance system that monitors blood lead levels
- expanding primary prevention in high-risk areas
- educating residents and contractors about lead poisoning and how lead hazards can be remediated from residential neighborhoods