Join our WICook at Home family!
WICook at Home is a new self-paced class that helps you prepare WIC-approved recipes at home.
Join our WICook at Home Facebook Group.
- Share home cooking ideas and recipes with other WIC participants. Learn from a WIC nutritionist how to make healthier food choices for you and your family.
We offer nutrition education, nutrition counseling, and breastfeeding support.
WIC is a unique food assistance program. In addition to health monitoring and referrals, a central mission of the WIC program is to improve the health of women, infants and children by providing quality nutrition and breastfeeding counseling and education.
Currently, due to the Cocid-19 pandemic, in-office visits for face-to-face or group education class appointments are suspended until further notice.
Nutrition Education Counseling
During appointments for enrollment, renewal of benefits and food package changes, a WIC nutritionist will perform the health/nutrition screening and deliver nutrition education over the phone.
We focus on promoting health and minimizing nutritional risks. During WIC certification visits, nutritionists can discuss your concerns about food choices and feeding skills, physical activity, weight control, anemia prevention, and healthy eating while pregnant or breastfeeding.
We also offer individual counseling and phone consultations from Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDN) for nutrition related challenges such as unintended weight loss, obesity, diabetes, and high blood pressure.
Nutrition Education Class Choices
For benefit issuance appointments (often called class pick appointments), you have several choices for receiving nutrition education activities, and all can be completed in the convenience of your home. Choices are described below:
Click and learn classes: Clients can complete a self-paced click and learn class at a time that is convenient for them. Newer classes include:
- Online classes at Texas WIC.
- Live Classes. Clients have the opportunity to learn and engage with a live expert on a variety of nutrition and breastfeeding topics and have their questions answered in real-time. Classes are offered at set days and times. The live classes are posted in the Texas WIC Express each week and a monthly calendar is sent to directors. See below for upcoming live class options.
- WICook at Home. In this class you will get nutrition education credit as you choose your recipe form an approved WIC source, enjoying eating it with family and friends. Here are the steps to complete this class:
- Select a recipe from from Texas WIC food and recipes or ChooseMyPlate.
- Take a picture of your recipe and enjoy eating it with family and or friends!
- Complete the “WICook at Home Card" to tell us where you got your recipe and which food groups you included.
- Show a picture of your recipe and the WICook at Home complete card at your WIC visit.