Page last reviewed: September 23, 2022
COVID-19 Contact Tracing
Contact tracers work with people who have COVID-19 to let their close contacts know they may have been exposed to the disease.
Making a choice to work with contact tracers helps protect you, your family and your community by slowing the spread of COVID-19.
Contact tracers will never ask for your social security number, bank information or credit card number.
Security and Safety
- As a follow up to an initial call, a contact tracer from the Houston Health Department (HHD) may call or text you from their HHD mobile phone, which could be from many different phone numbers.
- Automated text messages from Houston Health Department contact tracers will come from 35134, 73940 or 39242.
- Contact tracing automated email assessments from the Houston Health Department will come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you receive a call, text or email regarding contact tracing and you are unsure if it’s legitimate, please call the Houston Health Department COVID-19 Call Center at 832-393-4220.
- Contact tracers will never ask for your social security number, bank information or credit card number.
- Information gathered during the contact tracing process is not used for any other purpose.